NATURAL REMEDIES FOR TOP 3 MOST COMMON AILMENTS
Before you pop another pill for what pains you, try these natural remedies for the top 3 most common ailments.
Back pain is the most common ailment most of us suffer affecting 8 out of 10 people at some point during their lives according to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.
Looking for relief?
Keep rollin’, rollin’, rollin’! Foam rollers can offer immediate relief with self-myofascial release (i.e. self-massage) as reported by livestrong.com.
- Choose a foam roller long enough to cover the distance from the top of your head to the base of your spine.
- Place the roller on the floor in a vertical position. Sit at the edge of the roller. Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor.
- Lay back on the roller until the top of your head and the base of your spine are on the roller. Allow your body weight to sink into the roller and hold for 1 minute.
- Once you establish your balance, add pelvic tilts. Inhale and on your exhale, engage your deep abdominal muscles, and tilt your pelvis off the roller. Perform eight repetitions and increase reps. as your strength improves.
Have constipation? You are not alone! According to the American Journal of Gastroenterology, 42 million Americans suffer chronic constipation. The long term fix is to eat a diet high in fiber with fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of water (64 oz.) and avoid banana, chocolate, dairy, red meat, and caffeine, according to Kristi King, RD at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.
Want a quick fix?
Strike a (yoga) pose! Try Wind Relieving Pose daily – Yes, this gets its name for good reason. Wind relieving pose often comes with gas release because it compresses the ascending and descending colon. Not a fun experience in a hot, crowded, yoga studio but no worries at home!
How to do it:
- Start by laying flat on your back with a neutral spine.
- Bring your right leg up towards your body and bend the knee. Give your knee a hug and pull it into the right side of your body for 10-30 breathes.
- Repeat on the left side.
- Next, lengthen the colon by stretching right leg out and raise right arm overhead and stretch for 10-30 breathes.
- Repeat on the left side.
Okay – get to the point – the ‘acupressure’ point that is!
What is acupressure?
This follows the same principles as acupuncture but you stimulate the energy points with your fingers (rather than needles) to produce healing. According to Dr. Mao Shing, 38th generation doctor of Chinese medicine, the “Valley of Harmony” is often used to relieve pain from headaches, sinus problems, sore throat, menstrual disorders and much more.
- Find the ‘Valley of Harmony’ at the center of the web (or ‘v’) between your thumb and index finger on both hands.
- Apply steady pressure with your opposite thumb until you feel a slight soreness.
- Hold for 2 minutes.
- Repeat on opposite hand.
*Hey, let’s work together in fighting for a greener planet and healthier eating! Sign up at www.kokidz.com and receive valuable coupons, tips, & product updates. Be sure to follow us @kokidzcorp on Facebook, twitter, + Instagram for our latest news and events too. Go YOU!
NOTE: Post first published on April 7, 2015.