DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY COOKIES – EASY PEASY RECIPES KIDS LOVE MAKING (AND EATING)!
Healthy holiday cookies?! Oh yeah!! Hold the 2 cups of sugar and stick of butter and enjoy the sweetness of the holidays WITHOUT THE GUILT by trying one of these delicious and healthy holiday cookie recipes:
CRANBERRY COCONUT ENERGY BARS [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE] created by Medha Swaminathan, blogger Whisk & Shout
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons water
- A pinch of salt
(Makes approx 1 dozen)
- Pulse cashews in a food processor until they are finely ground.
- Add other ingredients and pulse until a dough forms. Add more water if the mixture isn’t coming together.
- Press into the bottom of n 8×8-inch pan lined with parchment paper and freeze for an hour or refrigerate overnight to set.
COCONUT SNOWBALLS [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE] adapted from Nutiva and the kitchn
- 1 cup organic coconut oil
- 6 Tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup hempseed (optional-superfood high in fiber/protein)
(Makes approx 1.5-2 dozen)
- Mix first 6 ingredients together (save 1/4 cup coconut)
- Form into 1 inch balls and roll in coconut and hempseed
- Chill in freezer and serve cold!
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHEWIES by EatingWell
- 1 cup chunky natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup trans-fat-free peanut butter chips (optional)
(Makes 3 dozen)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat peanut butter, oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until the sugars are blended. Beat in eggs, yogurt and vanilla until combined.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, oats, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture until blended. (It will be sticky.) Stir in chocolate and peanut butter chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or slightly rounded tablespoons of dough, place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Get fancy tip: Dip the bottom of a glass in water and then in sugar. Use the sugared glass to flatten the cookies slightly, leaving a thin layer of sugar on top, rewetting the glass as needed.
- Bake the cookies in batches until they are just set and the tops appear cracked, 8 to 10 minutes. (Do not overbake or they will be dry.) Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Do you have a favorite healthy cookie recipe you’d like to share? Please let us know by leaving a comment below!
*Hey, let’s work together in fighting for a greener planet and healthier eating! Sign up at www.kokidz.com and receive valuable coupons, tips, & product updates. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and twitter for our latest news and events too.